I <3 SPAGHETTI & MEATBALLS! WHY NOT CHANGE A FEW INGREDIENTS THIS TIME!
My October Trilogy of Races is almost over…exciting, but I am a bit sad too! Tonight, I am going to Zias, Saint Louis’s Best Italian Restaurant in the Hill, with a few friends who are running the STL Rock N Roll Half Marathon tomorrow as well! Therefore, I decided to make a different Italian style pasta dinner last night using my crockpot! I wanted to make a healthier version of spaghetti and meatballs by using quinoa in my meatball mixture (instead of bread crumbs) and spaghetti squash for my “pasta”. Don’t worry, I got enough carbohydrates with warm seduction bread and a piece of my banana pumpkin bread topped with Trader Joe’s pumpkin butter (I froze about 2/3 of my banana pumpkin bread loaf and defrost a piece when I want to enjoy it!)
Week 4 Crockpot Meal: Turkey Quinoa Meatballs with Spaghetti Squash
- 1 pound of 93% lean ground turkey meat
- 1 egg, beated
- 2/3 cup of cooked quinoa (can substitute bread crumbs)
- 1 Tablespoon of dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons of dried basil
- 1/2 Tablespoon of dried onion powder
- 4 gloves of crushed garlic
- 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black cracked pepper
- 1 Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 gloves of crushed garlic
- 1 white sweet onion, sliced
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes (with basil, oregano, and garlic)
- 1/2 can of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil
- 1 spaghetti squash
Meatballs and Tomato Sauce
- Prepare meatball ingredients (cook quinoa, beat egg, and crush garlic) and mix all the meatball ingredients into a bowl.
- Roll mixture in your hands to make 1/8 cup size meatballs.
- In a pan, sauté garlic in olive oil (from tomato sauce ingredients) and brown the outside of the meatballs.
- Place the sliced onions on the bottom of the crockpot.
- Add one can of diced tomatoes on top of the onions.
- Place the meatballs in the crockpot on top of the onions and diced tomatoes.
- Add the rest of the tomato sauce ingredients and give the mixture a few stirs.
- Cook the meatballs in the crockpot on HIGH for 3 hours (Low for 5-6 hours).
- Meatballs and tomato sauce will be ready to be served on top of the spaghetti!
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half. Scoop out the seeds/guts.
- Place halves facing down in a 9 by 13″ pan.
- Add 1/4 inch of water
- Place pan in the oven and cook for 1 hour.
- Scoop out spaghetti with a fork.
* Substitute HALF spaghetti squash/HALF pasta OR ALL regular/wheat pasta of course
SPAGHETTI SQUASH is a great way to get another vegetable into your daily intake in order to meet the recommended servings of vegetables per day (1 serving = 1 cup raw OR 1/2 cup cooked)! Click here to find out how many vegetables you should be eating per day for your age, gender, and level of physical activity.
Here is the comparison between 1 cup of cooked regular spaghetti and spaghetti squash, if are watching your calorie and carbohydrate intake:
1 cup of spaghetti regular pasta= 220 calories, 1 gram of fat, and 43 grams of carbohydrates.
1 cup of cooked Spaghetti Squash = 42 calories, 0 grams of fat, and 10 grams of carbohydrates
You are lucky, spaghetti squash is a vegetable in season right now! You should try it! Look for future posts on sweet, spicy, and savory spaghetti squash recipes
Good Luck to all the STL Rock N Roll Runners tomorrow! You will rock! And don’t forget to roll through the finish line with a big smile and your arms in the air!